Advice for New Desktop

Share what has worked well for you.
PLEASE LOGIN TO READ AND REPLY TO POSTS

Please log in to reply to this post

bcbaavteam@gmail.com

Advice for New Desktop

Postby bcbaavteam@gmail.com » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:37 am

Hi all,

Our church just recently purchased EasyWorship 7, and now our next challenge to purchase a desktop with sufficient power for projection to three different destinations (operator, congregation, foldback) i.e. triple output, at 1080p resolution.

From the system requirements, we understand that we need at least an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 or higher graphics card and a 3.2 GHz Intel i7, if we want to achieve 4K. However, since 1080p is only approximately "2K", but we do need triple output, we're not sure how to proceed.

Currently, we're looking at the range of i5 (8400, 8500, 8600) and i7 8700, with a GTX 1080. Would anyone be able to comment on whether we should scale up/down?

Dominic

Rodger
Support

Re: Advice for New Desktop

Postby Rodger » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:34 pm

The minimum card for this system should be the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050, but the 1060 or 1070 would be a good upgrade. All of the GTX cards support 3 - 4 independent screens.
You might look at the i5-8600K It's a 6 core processor that can clock up to 4.5 GHz. Pretty good bang for the buck.
I also recommend going with an NVMe SSD

Here's a link to a parts list. EasyWorship Newegg Parts List
Rodger King
EasyWorship Support Team Lead

webmasterwolt@gmail.com

Postby webmasterwolt@gmail.com » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:16 pm

We just purchased EasyWorship this past weekend and are getting the build for a PC together. I'm hoping someone here can tell me if my picks are good. Obviously if I can save some $ that would be better.

CPU
Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard
MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage
SanDisk - SSD PLUS 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB SC GAMING Video Card

Case
Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive
Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

rvadon

Postby rvadon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:57 pm

Get a better SSD. That is the bottom of the barrel (re: cheap) Sandisk with poor performance and suspect reliability. Do yourself a favor and get a Samsung or Crucial SSD. Much better drives performance and reliability wise. And get the M.2 NVME variety instead of the SATA III 2.5" if possible. It will cost a few dollars more but an NVME drive is 4 to 5 times faster than a SATA III drive. You never want to scrimp on your drives.

Other than that I don't see any red flags there.
Please do not PM me directly for support. Post your questions in the Forum so everyone can offer assistance and learn from them.

paul.dubose@gmail.com

Postby paul.dubose@gmail.com » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Would it be possible to get the newegg list updated? several items are out of stock. Thanks!

Rodger
Support

Postby Rodger » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:30 am

I've updated the wishlist from newegg.
Rodger King

paul.dubose@gmail.com

Postby paul.dubose@gmail.com » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Thanks Rodger!

paul.dubose@gmail.com

Postby paul.dubose@gmail.com » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:11 pm

Let me ask you...

Would the i5-8400 be much of a performance hit compared to the i5-8600k? It's not much of a price difference but $65 is $65, lol.

rvadon

Postby rvadon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:18 pm

You would never notice the difference aside from benchmarks. The only real advantage the 8600k has is that it can be overclocked, but for use in EasyWorship you really shouldn't be overclocking anyway.
Please do not PM me directly for support. Post your questions in the Forum so everyone can offer assistance and learn from them.

Rodger
Support

Postby Rodger » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:31 pm

Yep, I swapped the 8600K out with the 8400. Good observation!
Rodger King

rvadon

Postby rvadon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:34 pm

The 8600k could be a good choice if you happened to catch it on sale for the same price or less than the 8400 though. I just wouldn't pay more for it for an application where absolute stability is key like EW would be. The last thing someone needs is to have the computer crash in the middle of a service due to poorly implemented overclocking.

crawford69

Postby crawford69 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:23 pm

The minimum card for this system should be the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050, but the 1060 or 1070 would be a good upgrade. All of the GTX cards support 3 - 4 independent screens.
You might look at the i5-8600K It's a 6 core processor that can clock up to 4.5 GHz. Pretty good bang for the buck.
I also recommend going with an NVMe SSD

Here's a link to a parts list. EasyWorship Newegg Parts List
Is there an updated list. Several of the items in the wishlist are out of stock.

rvadon

Postby rvadon » Wed May 01, 2019 10:44 pm

Just look for an i5-8400, 8500, or 8600. Just because the link shows out of stock doesn't mean that they aren't available from Amazon, B&H Photo, or other sellers. Newegg sells the boxed retail versions as well as OEM versions that aren't in retail packaging. They are the same actual cpu, just packaged differently. Get whichever one is the best deal. Just stay away from third party sellers as they sometimes send out fake parts.

As for the case, you can substitute any ATX or MATX case that you can find for a good price. Just make sure that it conforms to the motherboard size. MATX is smaller and can fit in an ATX case. An ATX motherboard is larger and won't fit in a MATX case.

Any GTX 1050 will be fine. Several brands have them and they are all decent. Just pick up the one that is the best deal.

Essentially, the way items go in and out of stock any list can become obsolete within a day or two if it is too specific. If you give me an idea of your budget I can probably figure one out tomorrow sometime. Or if you make a shopping list from one of the sites you can post it and we can look it over and make suggestions.

crawford69

Postby crawford69 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:17 pm

Just look for an i5-8400, 8500, or 8600. Just because the link shows out of stock doesn't mean that they aren't available from Amazon, B&H Photo, or other sellers. Newegg sells the boxed retail versions as well as OEM versions that aren't in retail packaging. They are the same actual cpu, just packaged differently. Get whichever one is the best deal. Just stay away from third party sellers as they sometimes send out fake parts.

As for the case, you can substitute any ATX or MATX case that you can find for a good price. Just make sure that it conforms to the motherboard size. MATX is smaller and can fit in an ATX case. An ATX motherboard is larger and won't fit in a MATX case.

Any GTX 1050 will be fine. Several brands have them and they are all decent. Just pick up the one that is the best deal.

Essentially, the way items go in and out of stock any list can become obsolete within a day or two if it is too specific. If you give me an idea of your budget I can probably figure one out tomorrow sometime. Or if you make a shopping list from one of the sites you can post it and we can look it over and make suggestions.
How about this CPU?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6819117826

crawford69

Postby crawford69 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:01 pm

Would you suggest purchasing a separate CPU fan rather than using the one that comes with the processor?